[b-hebrew] The Pesach prohibition - baked, not leavened bread

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Sep 22 11:20:23 EDT 2006

Vadim Cherny wrote:

> When you say that hmtz refers to souring, that's merely a presumption. The
> root cells hm-mtz are distinct in other words - hemer, matzot, lehem. That
> cannot be a coincidence.

HH: I guess you never bought a good Bible
dictionary for Hebrew as I asked you to do. The
word has that meaning of sour or acidic in
post-biblical Hebrew. There are related cognates
with that meaning in Arabic and Aramaic. Other
languages mentioned with such cognates include
Akkadian, Egyptian, Ethiopic, Tigre, and Syriac. A
related word means "salt" in Coptic.

> The translation "leaven" doesn't square with several other instances I
> enumerated in the original post. Particularly, Hos7:4 about bad baker who
> ceases to watch the dough until it becomes hmtz in hot oven. The
> conventional translational "leavened" is absurd. Dough does not leaven in
> hot oven, but is baked.

HH: Perhaps this is the source of your problem.
The verse does not say that the bread is in the
oven. It simply says there is no need to heat the
oven while the bread is getting ready to bake. One
does not knead the dough while it is in the oven
either.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard