K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 16:05:32 EDT 2006

Joel:

Yes, you did jump in late.

I have repeatedly acknowledged that idiomatic phrases and compound
lexemes have their own semantic domains separate from the semantic
domains of the stand alone terms that make up an idiom or compound
lexeme.

However, when defining according to function, "bad" has the same
functional semantic domain in all the examples you gave. Similarly
both uses you gave of "spoiled" have the same functional meaning.

With "speedy" you have a point, but even there for an action it refers
to actual motion, while for an object it refers to the potential of
that motion provided it can be kept in repair. We are not talking
about a decidedly different semantic domain, just a minor nuance, the
same minor nuance that exists in all adjectives modifying velocity.

Where the disagreement lies is that I claim that a stand alone lexeme
(not counting the times it is used as a compound lexeme) has only one
semantic domain, whereas others claim that one term can have multiple
semantic domains. I define according to function, while most
lexicographers define according to form.

Karl W. Randolph.