[b-hebrew] Dates of Ezra and Nehemiah

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Sun Sep 17 23:11:48 EDT 2006

Dear Shosanna,

The traditional dates for the reign of Nebuchadnezzar II and of his
destruction of the temple in Jerusalem (587-86) are based on astronomical
dating, that is, on the interpretation of cuneiform tablets with positions
of the moon and the stars in particular years of particular kings. There are
about 220 datable astronomical diaries between the first century and the
seventh century B.C.E. On the basis of these, we can say that there is no
possibility that the date for the destruction of the temple can be two
hundred years off  (422-21) compared with the traditional dating (587-86).

However, science is not as scientific as scientists like to portray it. As a
matter of fact, before a single cuneiform tablet was unearthed, the New
Babylonian Empire was chronologically fixed on the basis of the king list of
the astronomer Claudius Ptolemy (2nd century C.E.), and the newly found
cuneiform tablets were interpreted in the light of this chronology. On this
background, the publishing of the astronomical diary VAT 4956 in 1915 was
heartily welcomed, since it contains about forty observations of the moon
and the planets connected with Nebuchadnezzar´s thirtyseventh year. Now the
date of the destruction of the temple could be established once and for all.
After this, a few other astronomical tablets that have a bearing on the New
Babylonian chronology, have been published, and these are taken as
additional proofs in favor of the traditional chronology.

Two important weaknesses of modern science dealing with ancient history and
chronology are the belief in the authority of the "big names" and in the
tendency to minimize and explain away data that contradict the traditional
view. I have for the past two years carefully studied the monuments and
stelae ascribed to the New Babylonian kings, chronicles dealing with their
reigns, dated business documents from their reigns, and the mentioned
astronomical diaries. My conclusion is that the New Babylonian chronology is
in need of a revision. There are about fifty dated business tablets that
contradict the traditional chronology in addition to many other data that
suggest that the traditional chronology is too short. Ancient chronology
cannot be proven, but in my view a strong case can be made for a
prolongation of the New Babylonian Empire by twenty years (a new
interpretation of VAT 4956 corroborates this). This means that the first
year of Nebuchadnezzar II was 625 and not 605 B.C.E.. Interestingly, the
last thirty years of the New Assyrian Empire is a complete mess, as far as a
meaningful chronology is concerned. I will soon publish a book where all
these data will be presented and discussed.

The answer to your question is that a date in the fifth century for the
destruction of the temple is impossible, but the traditional chronology
should be adjusted somewhat.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo