[b-hebrew] Dates of Ezra and Nehemiah - and assumed knowledge

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 17 19:55:02 EDT 2006

 It is a bit amusing to observe people express solemn
  opinions on subjects in which they don't really have training.It
   would appear that matters Egyptological are best left to
   Egyptologists.
  \
    For example, Peter Kirk has written, inter alia:
"..... The orthodox estimate of
the date of Shoshenk I is dependent on estimates by Thiele etc of the
date of the Shishak invasion in 1 Kings. Kitchen et al have fitted other
Egyptian rulers around this date for Shoshenk I but with a lot of
uncertainties. And Thiele's dates are derived from the Bible and from
Mesopotamian data, but not at all from Egyptian. ....
--
Peter Kirk "

  In addition to Kitchen's major reference work on this and other matters,
  one may wish consult Hoffmeier's Israel in Egypt, and works by Curdis
  and others. One may of course weigh their work against Egyptologists
  who do not accept their dates.

   To reject commonly accepted  Egyptian chronologty  because it does
  not fit with biblical chronology  -- clearly typological --  based on numbers
   such as 480 or 40 years, is an expression of faith, not scholarship.

  Uri