[b-hebrew] Dates of Ezra and Nehemiah

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Sun Sep 17 15:55:49 EDT 2006

On 17/09/2006 07:07, Yigal Levin wrote:
> Remember, we get our absolute dates for biblical chronology from Egyptian
> and (mostly) Mesopotamian documents, not vise-versa.

This may be true of Mesopotamian chronology, but not of Egyptian. There
is no dependence of biblical chronology from the time of Saul onwards on
Egyptian chronology, but entirely vice versa. The orthodox estimate of
the date of Shoshenk I is dependent on estimates by Thiele etc of the
date of the Shishak invasion in 1 Kings. Kitchen et al have fitted other
Egyptian rulers around this date for Shoshenk I but with a lot of
uncertainties. And Thiele's dates are derived from the Bible and from
Mesopotamian data, but not at all from Egyptian. The only biblical dates
dependent on Egyptian chronology are some scholars' speculative dates
for a 13th century BCE Exodus, but these dates actually conflict with
the biblical dates, as well as being based on uncertain Egyptian dates
and a very speculative identification of Rameses II as the Pharaoh of
the Exodus, for which the main evidence as far as I can tell is his
prominence and the feeling of some that it would be appropriate for God
to humble such a great and proud ruler.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/