[b-hebrew] Dates of Ezra and Nehemiah

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 00:02:12 EDT 2006

On 9/17/06, K Randolph wrote:

[quoting Liz]
> > The document from Elephantine doesn't mention Nehemiah at all.
> > The document is dated  precisely to Nov. 25, 407 BCE. This is the reign of
> > Darius II. It states that the sons of Sanballat are now governors of
> > Samaria, and Bagohi is the governor of Judah. Since Nehemiah was governor at
> > the time of Sanballat, not the time of his sons, the Artaxerxes that he
> > served under must have been Artaxerxes I.

> The only thing I know about this Elephantine document is from this
> discussion.

I believe Liz is referring to the following document:
http://www.kchanson.com/ANCDOCS/westsem/templeauth.html

Liz, the text does not say Sanballat's sons are governors of Samariah.  It
may be referring to a situation where Sanballat is now very old and his
sons are now running the province in practice, but the document very
clearly titles Sanballat as "governor of Samariah".

Yitzhak Sapir