[b-hebrew] Dates of Ezra and Nehemiah

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sun Sep 17 00:32:33 EDT 2006

Hello Dora,

The only "historical context" is that created by the editor of the book,
which was neither Ezra or Nehemiah.
As far as "their role in selection of the Jewish scriptures", there is no
hint of this in those scriptures themselves. The rabbis living over 700
years later attributed to Ezra what was in reality a centuries-long process
of canonization, as a way of giving "prophetic" authority to what they had
come to consider the only acceptible canon.

Yigal Levin