[b-hebrew] Dates of Ezra and Nehemiah

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 22:26:31 EDT 2006

On 9/15/06, K Randolph wrote:

> Finally, Artaxerxes II faced several rebellions early in his reign,
> the most famous the one immortalized by Xenephon, so it make sense
> that he would send a totally loyal Nehemiah to fortify and defend one
> corner of his realm. And if Rolf is correct, that reign started a
> decade earlier than listed in standard histories.

Rolf dates Artaxerxes I approximately a decade earlier:
http://folk.uio.no/rolffu/Chronlgy.htm
But he also apparently dates a longer reign to Artaxerxes I, dating Darius II
one year *later*.  This would mean, if all else stays the same, that the
reign of Artaxerxes II is also pushed "forward" one year since he reigned
after Darius II.

Compare for example the traditional chronology here:
http://bible.ovc.edu/terry/daniel/bpkngchr.htm

Yitzhak Sapir