[b-hebrew] Psalm 22 Translation Help

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 19:31:41 EDT 2006

On 9/14/06, Peter Kirk wrote:

> See http://www.torahresource.com/Newsletter/Ps22.16.pdf for an image and
> discussion of the DSS fragment in question. There is also a lot of
> discussion of this on the Internet, including in the archives of this
> list, which you can find with Google.

One should keep in mind that, despite the name "torah resource", the
website has a vested interest in a particular interpretation of the passage.
I actually find the website name deliberately misleading and offensive. The
article above also reads more like a sermon than a scholarly article.  It
has no references if I want to check who are those who hold a particular
position stated in the article and how they phrase their position (such as
the list in the bottom right of the first page).

As far as sermons go, this seems to betray quite a bit of ignorance with
Hebrew.  This includes his peculiar spelling of the word qamatz, his
comment on the 'h' in Nahal Hever ydyh in view of the DSS spelling,
and his reconstruction of the verb k-r-y which misses the point entirely
on the use of aleph in verbs like q-w-m and r-w-m.  I think even for a
sermon, one could have been much more careful with the evidence
rather than playing fast and loose with it to make it say what you want
it to say.

My view is that this word is of unclear meaning and it would be best to
just say we don't know what it means than try to fit it to either 'like a lion'
or 'pierced', both of which are problematic readings.  The Nahal Hever text
may support the reading k-)-r-w but this could simply be a variant that
traces back to a time where yod and waw were very similar (similar to
one explanation for the Pentateuch using h-w-) for "she").  It still does
not support the reading "pierced" because of the aleph, which
appears out of place in a text that contains "very few variant readings
against the Leningrad Codex" as Harold put it.

Yitzhak Sapir