[b-hebrew] TRe: poetic accents and poetic metre

rochelle altman willaa at netvision.net.il
Thu Sep 14 04:53:52 EDT 2006

At 01:03 AM 9/14/2006, Yonah Mishael wrote:

Yonah,

Do you always misinterpret what is written? Does the use of 'chant' offend
me? A rather strange interpretation of what I write. Of course I am not
"offended." .. What I find exceedingly problematic is the use of chant to
render melodious and, more often then not, lyrical song.

The major problem with the reconstructied of Gregorian Chant is that there
is no bilingual, no way to cross-check the results. This is not true of the
Hebrew Psalms. There exists an early bilingual for Hebrew-English Psalms.
We know the melodies and, the instructions on *how* to sing the Psalm are
written into the MS.  All one needs do is to follow the instructions in the
MS, use the bilingual to cross-check, and there you are: the Psalms as sung
-- not chanted, SUNG --in the second temple period.. (From the responsorial
patterns, probably First temple, but that cannot be demonstrated)

When you know what a Psalm actually sounds like when sung and then hear it
chanted in, for example, the blessing before meals, it is impossible not to
express sorrow at the discrepancy.

Nor am I among the scholars who compares Hebrew chant to Gregorian. Read
Dr. Caen's paper to find the names of the culprits. I know better. After
all, Hebrew chant is syllabic; Gregorian Chant is selismatic.

Your comment that 'chant' is associated with religious use is a half truth.
There are charm chants (e.g., 'rain, rain, go away), football chants (Rah,
Rah, Rah, Sis boom bah, Name, Name, Rah, Rah Rah), end so forth. Today few
recognize the nursery rhyme as a charm against falling rain (sung to the
same chant tune as the OE charm against a wen); I rather doubt folks
realize that the nonsense words of football chants are a charm chant .While
there certainly is a religious aspect to such secular chants, I sincerely
doubt the people who chant them have any thought of religion in mind.

A reminder, Yonah, my specialty is religious song from Sumer on down the
ages. While Peter Jeffries denies it, religious song has one aspect of
immense importance to a scholar: continuity. Eric Werner, among
others,demonstrates it. For that matter, this is so self-evident, that Apel
(of the book on Gregorian Chant, that I mentioned) tosses it off as a given.

The structure of Biblical Hebrew song is directly descended from
Sumero-Akkadian. We need not be surprised at the similarities between
Cana'anite and Biblical songs; they follow the same tradition. Enheduanna's
songs are as multi-vocal and multi-level as David's songs. All this
complexity was destroyed when the Psalms and Hymns were 'standardized' --
chant adds another level of destruction and obfuscation by removing the
lyricism.

Can you tell from the intonational notation that, for example, Psalm 96 is:
(a) pre-Monarchial, and (b) has the rhythms of a work song? It would make
an excellent sea chanty. (Yet another class of 'song'.) Small wonder that
Jerome reports that the workers in Paula's community  sang Psalms while
plowing, sowing, tending the vines, and so on. Or that the 'long one,' the
name for Psalm 119, was the choice to sing, not chant, sing, while
"marching" between monasteries..It is, after all, a song to sing
'baderech." And its rhythms are that of a marching song. (Add another class
of song.) Ask yourself if these aspects of either Psalm survive the change
to chant.

As far as 'synonyms' go, you answered your own question. Each term refers
to a different aspect of the referent.For example, 'car' and 'auto refer to
the same object. Car refers to the physical object; auto to the mode of
movement. Overlap? Yes. Synonymous? No.

As I already said melody is a terrific mnemonic, I fail to understand your
comments.

Oops, I have to run.

Rochelle