[b-hebrew] Psalm 22 Translation Help

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Wed Sep 13 20:15:55 EDT 2006

Dear John,

>>HH: There is now suppport from the Dead Sea Scrolls for the variant
>>reading: "they pierced my hands and my feet."
>>

>Could you provide a bit more info please?  I have both the Vermes  and the
>Wise, Abegg, et al. translations of the DSS if it helps to point me to a
>passage.

HH: See the June 2005 Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society and
the article "Piercing the Ambiguities of Psalm 22:16 and the Messiah's
Mission," by Conrad R. Glen (pp. 283-99). You may have to wait a year,
and then you can access it online:

http://www.etsjets.org/jets/journal/jets.html

HH; Specifically, the scroll is the 5/6Hev Psalms Scroll, one of the
Nahal Hever texts. It dates to A.D. 50-68.  The text is in a Herodian
bookhand and has very few variant readings against the Leningrad Codex.
It was not examined by scholars until the mid-1990's.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard