[b-hebrew] is there are break between Gen 34:18 and 19?

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Wed Sep 13 13:53:08 EDT 2006

Dear David,

Yes, its a break.

V. 19 does not introduce a new character or change characters, so I
don't think that can be used as a justification.   Also 19 reads
*ha*nna`ar, and *ha*ddavar, both definite articles binding v. 19 to 18
at some level.

However, I would still consider v. 19 a break because the writer avoids
mainline forms.  He may easily have said, vayya`as hanna`ar... or
vaymaher hanna`ar la`asot... to place the new event on the main
plotline.  Rather, by using an irrealis clause (and a noun sentence), he
"demotes" the information in 19 to background for the scene at the city
gate.  Why put Shecem's circumcision into the background?  It probably
helps explain the town elders' willingness to entertain the terms of an
agreement with Ya`akob's family.

I am not saying that all lo'-clauses, X-qatals, or noun sentences are
found at the beginnings of their sections.  They may be embedded within
sections or close sections when they elaborate on previous events.  Such
is not the case in v. 19.

As I read Hemerdinger, he does indeed class the lo'-clause as an
X-qatal, but others, such as Longacre, consider a lo' clause as another
class labeled irrealis.  I prefer the latter classification myself.

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B. M. Rocine