[b-hebrew] The name

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Tue Sep 12 11:56:53 EDT 2006

On 12/09/2006 16:44, Blankinship, Benjamin wrote:
>>> [Acts 21:40]
>>> Why is this not Yehshua? instead  Iesous?
>>>
>> Are you asking why Yeshua is rendered Iesus in Greek and
>> Latin, thus "Jesus" in English etc.?
>>

> Do you assume, as I do, that Jesus would have spoken to Saul in Aramaic,
> but Saul would have repeated the story either in Greek or Latin?

No. And as a result I can give the matter some relevance to this forum.
Paul was "a Hebrew of Hebrews", probably meaning he was a Hebrew
speaker. Acts 21:40 specifically states that he spoke to the crowd in
Jerusalem in Hebrew, using the Greek words THi hEBRAIDI DIALEKTWi which
can only be understood as a reference to the Hebrew language. There is
no justification for the occasional translation "Aramaic". See also 22:2
which states that the crowd became quiet when heard Paul speaking
Hebrew, perhaps because of their reverence for the "holy" language.

As for Jesus' words to Saul (9:4), I would expect them also to have been
in Hebrew, but perhaps Aramaic - or perhaps not actually in any specific
language as this was some kind of vision.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/