[b-hebrew] FW: origin of evil

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Mon Sep 11 17:56:54 EDT 2006

B-Haverim,

The list server had some problems for a few days,so I am sending this
post a second time.  The original made it into the archives, but I think
it may not have been mailed out to the list.  Forgive me if this is the
second time you are receiving it.

**********

When Isaiah says that YHWH creates xoshek and ra`, he means that YHWH
has created the disaster for Israel at the hands of the Babylonians.  In
other words, YHWH creates devastating judgment.

As to the origin of this figure in the Gen creation account, there are
indications that Isaiah (and Jeremiah and others) thought of the dark
and watery world of Gen 1:2 as being the result of God's judgment.  See
Isaiah 34:8-16 (and Jeremiah 4).  If so, there was pre-existent light
that God had darkened as judgment.  "Create darkness" in the code means
"judge."

The Bible is not meant to be a physics textbook, so the hang-up on
darkness being the absence of light is really off the track.

I think an appropriate translation in Isa 45:7 is "disaster."

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B. M. Rocine