[b-hebrew] FW: origin of evil

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 14:32:47 EDT 2006

Sameer, Lisbeth, Harold, et al.:

I agree with Sameer that we ought confine ourselves first to the
question, is "evil" the correct translation of the term R(? After
that, and only after that, should we ask what is and what is not R(.

My understanding of the term "evil" is that it always includes a moral
aspect, is that not true?

Examples of R( in Tanakh include uses that, though they are
displeasurable to the suffering of harm, they do not include the moral
aspect.

Therefore, my conclusion is that "evil" is an incorrect translation
for R(. I have suggested that "harm" or something similar is a better
translation.

Shall we discuss this linguistic aspect, or shall I join with Sameer
in requesting that the moderators shut down this thread?

Karl W. Randolph.