[b-hebrew] FW: origin of evil

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Sun Sep 10 21:35:09 EDT 2006

Dear Liz,

>>Are not disasters evil??? What about the Tsunami, which killed over 300,000 men, women, children, babies? You say that God as only good must have some
>>ulterior good motive for killing all those people? If God has free will,
>>acts, is a moral agent, and commits disaster, then he also does evil, as he is quoted as saying.

HH: Isaiah 45:7 says that God creates RA(, and that word can mean
"disaster." We agree that God is responsible for disasters. But Abraham
knew the following (Gen 18:25): "Will not the Judge of all the earth do
right?" God does what is right, and what is right is not morally evil.
Moral evil concerns what is morally wrong. This is the distinction being
made. God does not do what is morally wrong because he is holy. When
Adam and Eve sinned, their sin brought a series of divine judgments,
including pain in childbirth, multiplied conception, toil in work, an
unproductive earth, and physical death.  We believe other negative
conditions came in the wake of these, such as disease, savageness in
animals, and disordered climate patterns. The Lord altered the
environemnt in which mankind would live as a result of its sin. This was
a divine judgment, so we certainly cannot call it morally evil.  All
these agencies are ultimately under  God's sovereignty, but they also
operate according to various laws in a naturalistic way. We know the
cause of the tsunami can be traced all the way back to the sin of Adam
and Eve. While it may have been a disaster, it was a token of divine
judgment on human sin, and was not ultimately a moral evil. However,
these disorders in nature do not necessarily connect directly with
particular sins or sinners. That is, there is a certain randomness about
them so that they are a condition of human life, affecting the innocent
as well as the guilty.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard