[b-hebrew] Different ways of pronouncing words in generalised terms

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 15:28:51 EDT 2006

Chris:

There is some controversy concerning the Hebrew pronunciation.

There are some who claim that the Masoretes accurately transcribed
Biblical pronunciation.

Others, and for clarity I admit I am in this group, believe that the
Masoretes had transcribed the pronunciation tradition that they heard,
but it was no longer the same pronunciation as was spoken before the
Babylonian Captivity. One of the evidences is that some of the
pronunciations make no grammatical nor logical sense, indicating that
the Masoretes were wrong.

The problem is that we now do not have enough information to answer
how close the Masoretes were.

Karl W. Randolph.