[b-hebrew] Seperating the beasts

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Sep 8 16:41:29 EDT 2006

Dear John,

>HH: There is one problem with this analysis. The beast that comes up out
>of the abyss is not Satan but is the antichrist (Rev 17:8). Your mistake
>is understandable, since Satan is pictured as a dragon and also comes up
>out of the abyss (Revelation 20).
>

>Let me draw your attention to Revelation chapter 13 and in verse four the Dragon (satan, according to 12:9.) gives his complete power over to a beast which is the Antichrist and he does have complete authority during the 1000 years while satan is confined in the pit.

HH: That's not true. The beast is sent to the lake of fire (Rev. 19:20)
before the dragon is sent to the abyss (Rev 20:2-3).

>Revelation 17:8-11 describes satan as a beast but we know which one he is by the way he is defined.
>"The Beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascent out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition". and is not, refers to the 1000 years he is confined in the pit.

HH: Satan is never described using the word "beast." The beast in 17:8
is the same one as described in 13:3-4 as receiving a deadly wound and
being healed:

Rev. 13:3 One of the heads of the beast seemed to have had a fatal
wound, but the fatal wound had been healed. The whole world was
astonished and followed the beast.

HH: This corresponds to "was and is not and shall ascend" in 17:8. The
beast only has authority to act for 42 months, not 10000 years:

Rev. 13:5  The beast was given a mouth to utter proud words and
blasphemies and to exercise his authority for forty-two months.

HH: In fact Satan, who is described as a dragon, is specifically
differentiated from the beast:

Rev. 16:13 Then I saw three evil spirits that looked like frogs; they
came out of the mouth of the dragon, out of the mouth of the beast and
out of the mouth of the false prophet.

HH: Satan is later called the devil, and is again contrasted with the beast:

Rev. 20:10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of
burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown.
They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

HH: The beast and false prophet are thrown into the lake of fire before
the 1,000 years of Satan's confinement in the abyss, and Satan is
assigned there after the 1,000 years are over, when he stirs up yet
another rebellion and is finally punished forever.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard