[b-hebrew] Mashiach

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Sep 8 12:02:20 EDT 2006

Dear Yonah,

>YM: If he bore their sickness, then he would have become sick himself.This is simply more metaphorical language added to the mix of what we are already trying to clarify with normal language. I do not know how adding metaphor to metaphor helps us understand the text. Jesus did not "bear" sickness of any kind, even if he (supposedly) healed any sickness. There is a difference between bearing a sickness, which means that you suffer through it, and healing a sickness. Doctors do not "bear" the sickness of their patients.

HH: But doctors do not heal people supernaturally, so we don't know what
that might involve for someone who did. And the NT quotes this text of
Jesus healing people supernaturally:

Matt. 8:16  When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were
brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all
the sick.
Matt. 8:17 This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet
Isaiah:  “He took up our infirmities and carried our diseases.”

HH: The fact that we cannot explain exactly how someone could carry
diseases without becoming sick does not matter because we cannot explain
how a person can heal supernaturally either. One incident indicates that
power went out of Jesus in a healing:

Luke 8:44 She came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak, and
immediately her bleeding stopped.
Luke 8:45   “Who touched me?” Jesus asked.  When they all denied it,
Peter said,  “Master, the people are crowding and pressing against you.”
Luke 8:46  But Jesus said,  “Someone touched me; I know that power has
gone out from me.”

HH: So perhaps Jesus carried sicknesses in the sense that they drained
him of some power.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard