[b-hebrew] origin of evil

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Sep 8 10:46:56 EDT 2006

Dear Charles,

>Why is it that an all good God cannot create darkness, or "evil"? The text
>says that He did create darkness and "evil". Does that make him a bad God?
>Or is it that we all have preconceived notions about what a good God can, or
>cannot do. I would conclude that the text does say that He did create
>darkness and "evil", but it says nothing about the goodness, or badness, of
>God.

HH: Yes, by creating a world God created darkness if there was no light.
Darkness would be an automatic by-product of a world without light.
Since he created the world, he created darkness.

>>I actually think that Isaiah here is expounding upon, or even disagreeing
>>with Gen. 1. Gen. 1 says that God's first creative act is to create light,
>>the darkness is already there, uncreated, like the ocean and the
>>earth even, all uncreated. Only light is created.
>>

>And isn't this a preconceived notion about what the text says? Isaiah says
>God created darkness. Genesis 1:3 does not say "God created light", but
>rather "Be light". That would be like walking into a dark room and turning
>on a light switch. Light isn't created, but it becomes light.

HH: The phrase implies the creation of light. The form is not an
imperative but a jussive. So it is something like: "Let light exist."
The same wording in used in Gen 1:6 about the creation of the sky, and
in 1:14 for the creation of the great lights in the sky, the sun, moon,
and stars.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard