[b-hebrew] origin of evil

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 23:32:30 EDT 2006

I have been lurking on this subject, wondering which is the best time
to enter. We have finally gotten back to Hebrew language.

First of all, what is the meaning of R( רע?

It describes an action, not an object (unless you want it to refer to
an object that does the action).

It appears to be the antonym of +WB טוב which appears not to mean
"good", rather "pleasing" as it is used also to describe actions that
were not good, but pleasing to the people who do them (sort of like
stolen watermelon are the sweetest).

Therefore, as an antonym, its core meaning (remember, that is not
always the best way to translate it into English) seems to be
"displeasing", often used in a way synonymous with "evil" but not
always. Sometimes the displeasing is good, in the same manner as in
Proverbs 3:12 punishment and pain are signs of love.

As for "evil" per se, it appears connected with wickedness R$( רשע.

So in Isaiah where it says that God creates R( רע, this is displeasure
that may be for our good. Even calamities are allowed for reasons that
we do not understand.

Just my 2¢ on this issue.

Karl W. Randolph.