[b-hebrew] Satan

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Wed Sep 6 06:48:06 EDT 2006

Dear Harold,

Nowhere in the verses below is a statement that God does not create things
He "hates". Are you saying that wicked people, whom God "hates", are not
God's creatures? I would certainly not expect this attitude from a
Christian, but "even" from a Jewish perspective: God created everything and
every one. He gave humans free choice between "good", which means obeying
God, and "evil", which means disobeying. This is something that only humans
are capable of. God advises us to chose the former - but if we chose the
latter, we carry the responsibility.
"Good" and "evil" are not absolutes. Let's take natural disasters: hundreds
of thousands killed by a tsunami. Was this NOT an act of God? Or at least,
could God have not chosen to avert it? From our perspective - a horror,
certainly not "good". From God's perspective - well, we work for Him, he
does not OWE us explanations. But, unless we resort to belief in an
independent Satan, there is no "evil" at work.
So the only true evil is that which is in the human soul. We all have some -
it is our choice do fight it or not. If there is a "satan", then it is a
metaphor for the yetser ha-ra that GOD CREATED in each of us.

Yigal Levin