[b-hebrew] Yigal: Daniel

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Tue Sep 5 14:57:54 EDT 2006

The point is, that this - not the Tanach - is the source of satan
being more than just an angel.  While looking it up, I found this,
about the dating, and I merely related it to the list.

The text is on line here, this is only one of the sites I found.

http://www.exodus2006.com/jubilint.htm

The Book of Jubilees dates itself to the time of Moses and was
possibly written by him. The purpose of the book seems to have been
to add more detail to the outline of history that is provided by
Genesis, giving names and dates not included in the Torah. This
account also adds some details from the Book of Enoch and mentions
the Watchers.
The other purpose of the book is to rationalise the Hebrew calendar,
with Adam at year 1, and the details of ages of the patriarchs that
are given in Genesis are reflected in the dates given for their
births and deaths in this book.
Some of the extra names and stories in the book may have been
included to encompass the folk-tales of the tribes who took part in
the Exodus of Moses.
To convert the dates; 2000 AD = 5760 AM.

and here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilees

Dating

European scholars believe based on internal evidence that the Book of
Jubilees was written in Hebrew between the year that Hyrcanus became
high priest (135 BCE) and his breach with the Pharisees some years
before his death in (105 BCE), and that the author was a Pharisee.
Jubilees is the product of the midrash which had already been at work
in the Old Testament Chronicles. As the Chronicler had rewritten the
history of Israel and Judah from the point of view of the post-exilic
Levites, so the author of Jubilees re-edited in turn, from the
Pharisaic standpoint of his own time, the history of events from the
Creation to the publication of the Law on Sinai.

and more

Shoshanna

Have you ever read the bok of Jubilees, or even an introduction to it? It is
basically a midrash agadah on the time from creation to the Exodus. It does
not attempt to bring events down to the author's own time (which is sometime
during the Second Temple period), and as such does not supply a "calendar"
which can be continued into the future. It was also probably unknown to the
authors of Seder Olam, and as such had no influence on our present system of
counting.

Yigal Levin