Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Mon Sep 4 15:37:11 EDT 2006

I mentioned several times that perhaps it was just a question of
terminology.  Even I know that the name "Sanhedrin" is not from the
Torah.  I hope this whole discussion wasn't about its NAME.

Shoshanna

On the question of "origin of Sanhedrin".

According to Exodus chapter 24 there was "seventy of the elders" that
is to say Seventy out of the elders that were available.

While the use of "seventy" seems to be a good foundation for all
future use from there as we see it develop in scripture.

However the term "Sanhedrin" does seem to come from Greek origin.

I am endeavoring to copy and paste from the newest version of
Concise Oxford English Dictionary (Eleventh Edition)

Sanhedrin (also Sanhedrim )

noun the highest court of justice and the supreme council in ancient Jerusalem.

ORIGIN

from late Hebrew sanhedrin, from Greek sunedrion 'council', from sun-
'with'+ hedra 'seat'.

aah! So now can we meet on middle ground and call it the "Council
Seat" or "Seat of Council"?

So at any rate, may we get off this question and on to others where
we can agree on?

John B. Senterfitt