John B. Senterfitt millenia05 at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 4 12:49:19 EDT 2006

On the question of "origin of Sanhedrin".

According to Exodus chapter 24 there was "seventy of the elders" that is to say Seventy out of the elders that were available.

While the use of "seventy" seems to be a good foundation for all future use from there as we see it develop in scripture.

However the term "Sanhedrin" does seem to come from Greek origin.

I am endeavoring to copy and paste from the newest version of  Concise Oxford English Dictionary (Eleventh Edition)

Sanhedrin (also Sanhedrim )

noun the highest court of justice and the supreme council in ancient Jerusalem.

ORIGIN

from late Hebrew sanhedrin, from Greek sunedrion 'council', from sun- 'with'+ hedra 'seat'.

aah! So now can we meet on middle ground and call it the "Council Seat" or "Seat of Council"?

So at any rate, may we get off this question and on to others where we can agree on?

John B. Senterfitt