[b-hebrew] Daniel

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Sun Sep 3 21:41:26 EDT 2006

Dear Shoshanna,

>The dates I have are from the creation of the world:
>
>Nevuchadnezar led the Jews into exile in three stages over an 18 year
>period (3320, 3327, 3338).  Among the exiles were Ezekiel, Daniel,
>Mordechai.
>
>In 3390 Cyrus granted the Jews permission to return to Israel and
>re-establish the Temple.
>
>Esther was chosen queen in 3400.  During Pesach 3404 she appeared
>before the king to plead to nullify Haman's decree.  On 13-14 Adar,
>3405, the miracle became a reality.
>
>In 3407 Achashverosh was succeeded by his son, Darius II.  In 3408,
>Darius authorized the completion of the second temple.  It was
>completed in 3412.
>
>I meant to say that Mordechai was already an old man during the
>events of Purim.

HH: Here is material from an article on Mordecai in the International
Standard Bible Encyclopedia:

The date of the story [of Esther] hinges on the identification of
Ahasuerus, since no other person mentioned is known from extrabiblical
documents. Few today doubt that Ahasuerus is to be identified with
Xerxes I, 486-465 B.C., although the matter is complicated somewhat by
the consistent LXX rendering Artaxerxes. A fact favoring the
identification with Xerxes I is that his Greek campaign can explain the
chronological gap of four years between 1:3 and 2:16.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard