[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:16 (The Tifha accent)

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Sun Sep 3 07:43:26 EDT 2006

Dear Chris and Nel wrote:

>The last part of this verse namely: ...ET  HaCoCHaViM...is accompanied by a
>tifha accent.  It has been suggested by a pdf document that I found about
>accents (David Robinson and Elisabeth Levy 2002) that the above verse is in
>the most part mistranslated into English by saying that "God made the stars
>also".  When it should in fact be translated to indicate that the writer was
>saying that "The smaller light to rule the night and the The stars to rule
>the night"  implying that the purpose of the tifha is to read the clause:
>"rule the night" Twice!
>
>I am not trying to be pedantic here, but since I am learning to get to grips
>with these accents I am more interested in appreciating the use of the tifha
>at this point.
>
>Personally (before I understood the accents) I read this verse as to mean
>that God made the lesser light to rule the night 'Along with the stars also'
>to rule the night based on interpreting the 'ET' before HaCoCHaViM as
>'With', and for the fact that it seems to be too much of an awkward
>afterthought to have it placed at the end of the sentence if it were to mean
>simply that: "Oh yes and God made the stars also"!

HH: The chapter is talking about creation, and before the stars do
anything, they have to be created. That is the thrust of the verse. You
could rewrite the verse:

And God made the two great lights -- the greater light to rule the day
and the smaller light to rule the night -- and the stars.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard