[b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 23:59:56 EDT 2006

Yigal:

I had never really considered the order of books before as more than
tradition, hallowed by centuries but otherwise not authoritative.
There is indication in the New Testament that Chronicles was already
recognized as the final book in Tanakh, an order that later Christian
authors did not follow.

You are right, the Christian order is not by chance; because Jesus is
claimed to be the fulfillment of prophecy (as taught in the New
Testament), it made logical sense to have the lead in to the New
Testament being the prophets. There was some thought given to
contradicting already jelling tradition.

I did not consider your statement inflammatory.

As for why Daniel was/is not considered a prophet, there are more than
one reasons given, the most important I heard was because he was a
court official in an enslaving kingdom. Peter̦'s suggestion that he
was "demoted" as a reaction to Christian citing of his prophecies
probably also played a part.

Karl W. Randolph.