[b-hebrew] Was Daniel a prophet? Sanhedrin

Michael Abernathy mabernathy714 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 2 19:12:55 EDT 2006

I have a few questions about this discussion I hope some of you may be
able to expound on.

First, I note that the on line version of the Jewish encyclopedia (
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=229&letter=S )
states, ". . . but the fact that no passage whatever in the pre-exilic
books of the Bible refers to this institution seems to indicate that
it was not introduced before the time of the Second Temple." Is there
any written or archaeological evidence for the existence
of the Sanhedrin in pre-exilic times?

Second, would the Sanhedrin have made a decision on those prophets who
were living in other nations such as Israel during the divided kingdom
or Daniel?

Third, were those judgments recorded in any surviving documents or would
they only be known in oral traditions?
If they were known in oral traditions, do you apply any historical
methodology to determine which traditions are authentic? Or is the
assumption that any tradition not accepted by modern Judaism is a false
tradition?
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy