[b-hebrew] answer to Peter Re: Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Fri Sep 1 15:22:15 EDT 2006

G-d has already discussed leadership of the nation - judges, kings,
Kohanim.  Starting in Deuteronomy 18: 9, the Torah discusses the
manner in which G-d will communicate His will, and whatever the
nation must know of the future in order to fulfill its
responsibilities to Him.  First G-d tells the Jews that they are
forbidden to copy the practices used by other nations to foretell
events, they are to rely only on G-d, through prophets that He will
send to speak in His name.

Then G-d tells the people He will send them prophets.

In Deuteronomy 13, the first few verses, G-d instructs how to know if
someone is a false prophet.

The rest of Deuteronomy 18, G-d outlines laws concerning prophets,
when a false prophet shall be put to death, and reiterates how to
know if someone is a false prophet or not.

Someone asked me what is the source for Sanhedrin having to verify a
prophet, I just answered a question, I didn't proselytize.  In
earlier posts I cited written Torah where it mandates a Sanhedrin,
where it specifies the necessary personal qualities of members, where
it tells us what the authority of the Sanhedrin is (even though it
doesn't go into each and every detail of every single function), and
tells us that we have to accept their authority and ask them when we
have questions or need adjudication.  I don't remember all the
specific verses, I am not going to look them up again, my posts are
in the archives, if there are archives of this list.

There HAD to be a standard so the people knew who was prophesying in
G-d's name, and who was a false prophet.  The Sanhedrin was the only
body that could rule on this issue.

Ezekiel prophesied outside of Israel, but he BEGAN to prophecy in the
Land of Israel, he was there at the beginning of his ministry,
available to the Sanhedrin.

Indeed, in the sense of the five books of Moses. And there is nothing
in the Torah about prophets being verified by the Sanhedrin.

How could your Sanhedrin based on the Temple Mount verify Ezekiel who
ministered as a prophet in Babylon? And, if they existed as early as
that, how did they avoid exile themselves? And why is there no
mention of them in any of the books of the Tanakh?
> The source for this is various places in the Oral Torah.

We are not talking about the Oral Torah. Remember that that is not
accepted as authoritative by all on this list, any more than the
teaching of Jesus is.