[b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Sep 1 12:33:23 EDT 2006

Shoshanna Walker wrote:

>Even if he only got his visions from angels and not from G-d directly?
>
>Also, no one answered my question - was he verified by the Sanhedrin?
>
>In order to be verified by the Sanhedrin, a self proclaimed prophet
>had to undergo a test, and if even just one of the things he
>prophecized didn't come to pass, then he failed.

HH:  We don't even know if there was a Sanhedrin in Daniel's day. And
what prophecy of Daniel's did not come true? The laws in Deuteronomy 18
concerned instances where one gave a false prophecy. I like Karl's idea,
which you may have mentioned earlier, that Daniel did not function as a
prophet.  There were schools for prophets, and people could be prophets
by profession. Amos says that he was not originally a prophet, but God
specially called him to function that way, affter which time we can say
he was a prophet. He spoke publicly to the people, and to the leaders,
giving God's words to teach, admonish, and warn them. Isaiah was a
prophet to the king. Jeremiah was almost killed because of his
prophesying. Ezekiel dramatized his messages for the people. But Daniel
never functioned as a prophet to his people the way Amos, Isaiah,
Jeremiah, and Ezekiel did.

So perhaps Daniel was a prophet in one sense but not in another.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard