[b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Sep 1 09:06:39 EDT 2006

Peter,

Whether the man Daniel was or was not a "prophet" depends on your definition
of the word. However it is clear, that the rabbis did not consider the book
of Daniel to have prophetic status (just like they considered Jeremiah,
author of Lamentations, to have been a prophet, but did not consider the
book of Lamentations to be a work of prophecy). The early followers of
Jesus, however, felt that Jesus fulfilled many of Daniel's "prophecies", and
it was thus critical that the book be considered authoritative.

As far as Malachi, it was the "re-orderers" who placed the prophetic books
last in the OT, making them lead directly into the New. As I wrote, this was
not by chance.

Yigal Levin