[b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Fri Sep 1 07:56:31 EDT 2006

On 01/09/2006 13:46, Yigal Levin wrote:
> In some cases, the different order results from Christian theological
> considerations. For example, "upgrading" Daniel to the status of prophet.
> Another example is that of the end of Malachi, foretelling the coming of
> Elijah to bring word of the Lord's Great and Terrible Day, leading into
> Matthew's annunciation (of course disregarding the Apocrypha). I refuse to
> believe that this happened by chance.

I think our discussions have made it clear that there are good grounds
for considering Daniel a prophet quite apart from any Christian
interpretations. And it is a Jewish, not a Christian, teaching that
Malachi was the last of the prophets and chronologically the end of the
Tanakh. So I don't think you can attribute this ordering to Christian
ideology.

It is unfortunate that Harold's article does not give a date for this
new ordering or state whether it came from Jewish or Christian sources.

Peter

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/