[b-hebrew] Nineveh what it means in Hebrew?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Sep 1 04:44:53 EDT 2006

Dear Eva,

"Nineveh" does not mean anything in Hebrew. It is the English
transliteration of the Hebrew pronounciation of an Assyrian name. I'm not
sure anyone knows what the name means in Assyrian - it may actually be
pre-Semitic, taken over by the early Assyrians.

As for Ninus, as Joel has already written, this is probably a Greek
back-formation from the way they heard the name, something like "Ninueh".

In general, since Assyria had been totally destroyed by the Babylonians and
the Medes before Greek travlers became familiar with the area, they knew
very little about the Assyrians and their history, and made up a lot to fill
in the gaps. Even the name "Assyria" - the Greeks had no idea that the
ancient Assyrian homeland was in what we would call northern Iraq - they
attached the name to the Assyrians' last, brief stand at Harran and
Charchemish - in what the Greeks, and hence we, call (As)Syria to this day.

Yigal Levin