[b-hebrew] Nineveh what it means in Hebrew?

Joel Stucki joel at stucki.ws
Fri Sep 1 01:23:18 EDT 2006

On 8/31/06, thebodyofjesusthenazoraion at juno.com
<thebodyofjesusthenazoraion at juno.com> wrote:
> My question is
> Nineveh is the abode of Ninus. Is Ninus the same as the Greek Ninuei = offspring of ease?
> Eva Ritsema

Ninus the legendary ruler of Assyria that founded Nineveh is a must
later Greek legend if I recall correctly. I do not believe he is
attested in any Assyrian text. As to its relation to other Greek names
I cannot say but I believe the name originates from the Greek
pronunciation of Nineveh rather than another Greek root. Is this
question related to the Hebrew Bible in some way?

Joel Stucki