[b-hebrew] 1 Sam 1:28 Taken from Delitzsch and Keil

Chris and Nel wattswestmaas at eircom.net
Mon Oct 30 08:19:09 EST 2006

For those who are interested I found this just on the web, taken from
Deilitzsch and Keil.

What I also find poignant is the idea that "I have CAUSED him to be asked of
the Lord" while maybe awkward in English certainly expresses beyond doubt
the wisdom of the writer in proclaiming an unavoidable truth about the whole
situation, if you can follow my reasoning......

1. God closed Hannah's womb
2. God wants Hannah to ask Him for a child
3. God Knows that Hannah will make a vow as a result of years of grief and
silent desperation
4. God's plan is that God is ASKING Hannah for this child, (that is why He
closed her womb)
5. Hannah fulfills her vow
6. Therfore the child BECOMES "Asked for by God", in other words from the
writer's perspective on the 'theology' of it all -  she has CAUSED God to
ask the child from her.

Comments are welcome.

Regards
Chris Watts.

"for (she said) I have asked him of the Lord." The name shªmuw'eel (OT:8050)
( Samouee'l (NT:4545), LXX) is not formed from shªmuw (OT:8085) = sheem
(OT:8034) and 'eel (OT:410), name of God (Ges. Thes. p. 1434), but from 'eel
shªmuwa` (Passive participle) , heard of God, a Deo exauditus  (God complied
with), with an elision of the ` (see Ewald, §275, a. , Not. 3); and the
words "because I have asked him of the Lord" are not an etymological
explanation of the name, but an exposition founded upon the facts. Because
Hannah had asked him of Jehovah, she gave him the name, "the God-heard," as
a memorial of the hearing of her prayer.

And she said, Oh my lord, as thy soul liveth, my lord, I am the woman that
stood by thee here, praying unto the LORD.

When the boy was presented, his mother made herself known to the high priest
as the woman who had previously prayed to the Lord at that place (see vv.
11ff.), and said, "For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath granted me my
request which I asked of Him: therefore I also make him one asked of the
Lord all the days that he liveth; he is asked of the Lord." 'aanokiy
(OT:595) wªgam (OT:1571): I also; et ego vicissim (Cler.). hishª'iyl , to
let a person ask, to grant his request, to give him what he asks (Ex 12:36),
signifies here to make a person "asked" ( shaa'uwl (OT:7586)). The meaning
to lend, which the lexicons give to the word both here and Ex 12:36, has no
other support than the false rendering of the LXX, and is altogether
unsuitable both in the one and the other. Jehovah had not lent the son to
Hannah, but had given him (see v. 11); still less could a man lend his son
to the Lord. The last clause of v. 28, "and he worshipped the Lord there,"
refers to Elkanah, qui in votum Hannae consenserat , and not to Samuel. On a
superficial glance, the plural yishªtachawuw (OT:7812), which is found in
some Codd., and in the Vulgate, Syriac, and Arabic, appears the more
suitable; but when we look more closely at the connection in which the
clause stands, we see at once that it does not wind up the foregoing
account, but simply introduces the closing act of the transference of
Samuel. Consequently the singular is perfectly appropriate; and
notwithstanding the fact that the subject is not mentioned, the allusion to
Samuel is placed beyond all doubt. When Hannah had given up her son to the
high priest, his father Elkanah first of all worshipped before the Lord in
the sanctuary, and then Hannah worshipped in the song of praise, which
follows in 1 Sam 2:1-10.