[b-hebrew] 1 Sam:1:28

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sun Oct 29 01:07:22 EST 2006

Dear Shoshanna,

Please give me one place in which the root Sha'al means "dedicated".

Before stating that someone else's undersanding is ridiculous, have a look
at Rashi: "Like a man who lends a tool to his master for his use... The Holy
One Bless Him becomes a lender, and must return him to me".

Radaq (Rabbi David Qimhi) has what I think is a nice idea: "I have returned
to Him a loan that he has given me".

In any case, both of them understood the word "Sha'al" as "lend" and tried
to deal with it in different ways, rather than making up a new meaning for
the word.

Yigal Levin