[b-hebrew] 1 Sam 1:28 -- Asked - Lent??

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Oct 28 12:44:38 EDT 2006

The use of the root  $)L  is a play on verse 20, in which Hannah names her
son $emu)el "because I have asked (for) him of the Lord". Verses 27-28
emphasize this theme by using the same root four times.

An interesting point here, of course, is that the name $emu)el (Samuel) has
nothing to do with the verb $)L. $emu)el means "his name is God", or "God
has named", or, if the shin is originally a sin, perhaps "God has placed". A
name meaning "asked of God" would be "Shealtiel". On the other hand,
"because I have asked (for) him of the Lord" would have been a perfect
explanation for the name Shaul (Saul), who of course appears later on in the
book, without a birth narrative.

I suspect, although of course I have no proof, that there was an original
Saul birth story here that the author of I Samuel, not really a fan of
Saul's, took over and attributed to Samuel's birth (or combined with an
existing Samuel birth story). But that's mainly conjecture.

Yigal Levin