[b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 1:26 HaNiTSeVeT????

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Thu Oct 26 07:56:58 EDT 2006

On 26/10/2006 12:31, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
> On 10/26/06, Peter Kirk <peter at qaya.org> wrote:
>

>> No, it is so out of date, 100 years now, that it is out of copyright.
>>

> Take a look again at the following thread:
>
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2005-September/026178.html
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2005-September/026179.html
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2005-September/026200.html
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2005-September/026201.html
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2005-September/026210.html
>
> Take Jastrow's dictionary.  This is out of copyright.  The plates are
> available on the web:
> http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Jastrow%2C%20Marcus
>
> But here the BDB is used in scanned/digitized form.  This is different.
> One may choose to ignore or to think that for their own purposes the
> works are permissible, but it is clear that the respective publishers do
> not think so.

A digitisation of BDB may indeed be copyrighted. But I don't think that
Chris has specified where he found "BDB on the web". If he found a
digitised version at www.biblecentre.net or any other site which has
simply posted the Logos digitisation, or any other copyrighted
digitisation, this is indeed a breach of copyright. But for all I know
he is using a set of page images, or a non-copyrighted digitisation such
as the one offered by the Online Bible (at least, this is a free
download). If he is using the latter, I'm not surprised that he is not
satisfied, as it is a distorted version of BDB with theologically
motivated changes.

See also http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2004-August/020243.html

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/