[b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 1:26 HaNiTSeVeT????

Chris and Nel wattswestmaas at eircom.net
Tue Oct 24 14:06:16 EDT 2006

I am totally stuck on understanding this form in 1 Sam 1:26 where Hannah
says that she was the "one who was standing". (HaNiTSeVeT) Looking up in the
lexicon I see that it is a 'Niphal' and a participle - but that actually
confuses the issue because it resembles the alternative fem sing part in Qal
for example MSHeLeT. BDB on the web is about as useful as an ashtray on a
motorbike!!! -- if there were more occurences of this form that might have
helped, but evan shoshan shows that this is the only one.  Is it a noun
clause tied up in one word????  And I do not understand the doubling of the
second root letter??  This word has me really tied up in knots as to how it
became pointed with two seghols instead of the expected -- HaNiTSaVaH!! (I
like things predictable)

Please can you help.

Thanks
Chris