[b-hebrew] The New Testament

rochelle altman willaa at netvision.net.il
Sun Oct 22 10:44:31 EDT 2006

Schmuel,

If you are going to refer to the Siniaticus or precendents... have you ever
examined the Siniaticus or the Vaticanus? These two are the only Greek
4th-century codices..

I am not an NT scholar; however, I do know MSS and writing systems.
.
There can only be "blunders" if one has already decided what *should* be
there.
True, the original scribes did write in corrections, frequently these are
marginal corrections that point to a missed or questionable word. (I can
think of one amusing example of something scholars have been arguing about
for two hundred years. When someone actually examined the line in the
Codex, lo and behold, the original scribe had written the mark for
"questionable" word in the margin.)

True, there are numerous 'catch words' referred to as dittographs as well
as actual dittographs. True that as many as ten different hands emended the
text centuries later. Emendments, however, are not necessarily
"corrections." Rather frequently, such "corrections" are intended to bring
a text into line with what are the desired readings.

Are you aware that at the time of the Council of Trent there were more than
12,000 Latin bibles or portions of bibles floating around -- and no two
agreed in all details? What makes you think that Greek texts did not have
"variants."

Stop citing the KJV, it's just a translation -- a beautiful one, but with
all the biases of the 17th-century to contend with); Stop citing web
sources as the be all, end all..  Cite what is actually written in the
original document that you state is full of "blunders." If you do not cite
the originals, then you will have to tell us how you know that X is a
"blunder" and not a later emendment..

BTW, did you know that an exact copy of an existing work was considered a
forgery? "Blunders" and "errors" and "variants" -- I really wonder about that.

Back to sitting on my hands.

Rochelle
Dr. R> I> S. Altman

PS:Precedents? Hmm... all right, perhaps someone out here can tell me how
in the heck anyone can determine precedent when both Codices are mid-4th
century with two different canons written in two different scripts from two
different locales and from two different religious parties. The Siniaticus
is "Romanized"; the Vaticanus is Hellenized. Any other evidence one way or
another aside from the same old party juggling for supremacy going on? Just
curious.