[b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 11:49:37 EDT 2006

Steve:

I'm not a translator, I tend to follow the Hebrew too closely.

25) Know and discern, from the going out of the expression to cause to
return and to build Jerusalem until the anointed leader seven sevens,
and sixty and two sevens the city will be returned (do any of the DSS
have "settled' תושב ?) and built, square and neighborhood, even in
times of repeated troubles,

26) and after the sixty and two sevens Anointed will be cut off and
there is nothing for him, and a people of the coming leader will cause
to destroy the city and the set apart (place) and its end in a washing
over (used metaphorically of troops flowing over like a flood) and
unto the end desolating war is decreed,

Notice, the sixty and two sevens is mentioned once in reference to the
returning and rebuilding of Jerusalem, then after the ("the" is there
in the Hebrew) sixty and two sevens, in other words this is a
reference back to the same sixty and two sevens, something else is
mentioned. Quite frankly, in the context, I don't see a problem with
repeating "sixty and two sevens", the contexts are different even
though in the same passage.

Karl W. Randolph.