[b-hebrew] "extra" patach in Ex 20,3 / Deut 5,7 ?

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 17:56:45 EDT 2006

On 10/19/06, Gary Martin wrote:
> Can anyone provide documentation for this phenomenon of double pointing
> (vowels and accents) on the same letter in panay of Exod 20,3-4 (also
> mitaxat) and Deut 5,7? Does it occur in places outside these two parallel
> texts? Any leads to relevant discussions/literature would be much
> appreciated.

Dear Gary Martin,

I don't see any patach at all on the word "panay."  The double pointing appears
to me to be standard. For all syllables that have a major or minor stress, the
stress mark is placed on the letter that takes the first vowel.  I
would recommend
that you read Israel Yeivin, An Introduction to the Tiberian Masorah, ed. and
trans. E.J. Revell and also the following similar but complementary articles by
Geoffrey Khan:
'Tiberian Hebrew phonology', in A. S. Kaye (ed.), Phonologies of Asia and
Africa, Eisenbrauns, 1997, 85-102.
'The Tiberian pronunciation tradition of Biblical Hebrew' Zeitschrift für
AltHebraistik IX (1996), 1-23

Yitzhak Sapir