[b-hebrew] Psalm 57:5 (57:4 in English)

kgraham0938 at comcast.net kgraham0938 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 19 05:16:41 EDT 2006

Hello Karl, my lexicon (HALOT p 515) sees LB' to mean lion.  So LB'M would be the plural absolute form of that word.  But it also appears that this may by a hypothetical form as well.  The other word you mentioned is tricky as well because it looks like a cohortative 'may I lie down.' but does not seem to be functioning that way.  But either way the syntax is difficult but I get something like.

My soul, in the midst of lions I lie down, devouring ones, sons of man....

The NET bible suggest taking 'my life' with the previous verse but one would have to add a verb.  The LXX does this with RUOMAI (and he delivered my soul), if that be the case one can translate this as.  " And may God send his loving kindness and truth and deliver my soul." 5) In the midst of lions I lie down = sons of man who (want) to devour me.

--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 at comcast.net

From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph at gmail.com>