[b-hebrew] Septuagint and Hebrew Bible both say 70 souls inDeuteronomy 10:22

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Wed Oct 18 17:08:08 EDT 2006

The total consisted of the following:  All the persons who set out
on the journey from Canaan to Egypt numbered 66 - Leah's  32 listed
descendents, Zilpah's 16, Rachel's 11, and Bilhah's 7.  Joseph and
his two sons were waiting for them in Egypt, and Yocheved was born on
the way - total 70.

Other views include Jacob counted in the group as implied by the
expression "Jacob and his children"
Rashi explains:  It is common for the Torah to round off a number
when just one unit is lacking.

Shoshanna

[Steve Miller] thanks for pointing this out.

There are 2 totals in Gen 46:

In Gen 46:26, both MT & LXX give 66 as the number that came into Egypt with
Jacob, that came out of Jacob's loins.

In v 27 MT gives 70 and LXX 75 for the all the souls of the house of Jacob
that came into Egypt. This number includes those who came to Egypt before
Jacob came.

The MT does not say who the missing 4 were in the 66 total, but I figure
they are Joseph, Manasseh, Ephraim and Simeon, because they were already in
Egypt before Jacob came.

The 75 figure in the LXX includes the 70 from the MT plus 5 additional
descendants of Manasseh and Ephraim (46:20 LXX, and ignoring the 1st part of
46:27 LXX, which I think must be an error.)

In Exo 1:5, these are all the souls that came out of Jacob's loins, not just
those who came down to Egypt with Jacob. So the number agrees with Gen
46:27, not 46:26. i.e 70 for MT, 75 for LXX.

In Deut 10:22, the number is how many the Children of Israel started with
before the Lord multiplied them in Egypt. This number would not include the
5 descendants of Ephraim and Manasseh, because they are part of the Lord's
multiplying Israel in Egypt. It would include Ephraim and Manasseh
themselves, because they were counted as Jacob's direct children and as 2 of
the 13 tribes. Thus the number, from the LXX, DSS and Acts point of view, is
75 - 5 descendants of Ephraim & Manasseh = 70. Or from both the MT & LXX
point of view = 66 + 4 = 70.

The MT, in general, is far more accurate than the LXX, but I believe that
the 75 number in LXX is the correct one because it matches the NT and the
DSS.
-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceinwilderness.info