[b-hebrew] Psalm 14 'smoothed' to Romans 3 in Greek OT

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Wed Oct 18 02:02:19 EDT 2006

Dear Sujata,

Despite aish-hatorah's claims, scribal error (ta'ut sofrim) was a recognized
aspect of manual copying of scrolls. It's one of the reasons the Masoretes
used qeri and ketiv.

As far as purposely "smoothing over" texts - I think we're talking about
somethiing that was done by Christians to the Greek text. Look at a lot of
Christian (and other) translations today - they basically make the text say
what they believe it should say. This is legitamate in translation, which is
really a form of interpretation. No surprise there.

Yigal Levin