[b-hebrew] Deu:10:17

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Oct 17 02:54:32 EDT 2006

Dear Ethel,

That's what happens when you use a modern Hebrew dictionary, and not a very
good one at that.

The basic meaning of the word "adon" is "master", "owner", "ruler". As such,
it is a common title for human superiors and rulers, for gods in general and
for God (YHWH) in particular. The English word "lord" has the same meaning,
and as such is used to translate the Hebrew. As you know, God is often
called "Adonai", "my Lords", the plural being a sign of respect. The same is
true of Spanish "senior", which also has the meaning of "elder".

In MODERN Hebrew, English and Spanish, these words have additional meanings.
In modern Hebrew, "adon" is used as a title of respect towards one's
superior or supposed superior. A salesman will address a customer as
"adoni". In modern English, saying "my lord" is archaic, since "lord" is
also a title of nobility (although judges in court are addressed as
"milord") - the equivalent is "sir". Spanish uses "Senor".

And yes, the modern Hebrew word for "lord" as a title of nobility - when
referring to an English lord, is "lwrd".

Yigal Levin