[b-hebrew] Deu:10:17

Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz macnietspingal at airmail.net
Mon Oct 16 16:48:46 EDT 2006

יז  כִּי, יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵיכֶם--הוּא אֱלֹהֵי הָאֱלֹהִים, וַאֲדֹנֵי הָאֲדֹנִים:
הָאֵל הַגָּדֹל הַגִּבֹּר, וְהַנּוֹרָא, אֲשֶׁר לֹא-יִשָּׂא פָנִים, וְלֹא
יִקַּח שֹׁחַד.

Question:

 All translations use "Lord" for adonee but I don't think the word "Lord"
existed
back then.  It's funny to see it in Spanish "El Senor".  Now maybe in early
English the word "Lord" was used the same way we say "Sir".  I know in
Spanish that's what Senor means.  Sir/Mr.

In fact, I looked up Lord in my Webster New World Hebrew/English and it's
written lamed-vav-resh-daled (Hebrew transliteration of the word Lord:)  I
looked up Adonee and it's Sir/Mr.  I would translate it "Sir of sirs".  It
feels so natural to me and imparts such a rich poetic feeling to the
mysterious label "Y'H'W'H".  "God of gods and Sir of sirs".