[b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Oct 16 11:43:52 EDT 2006

Schmuel wrote:

>>> Do Philo or Josephus give any support for those actual verses ?
>>> I have never seen even one.

> Schmuel
> You did not answer this question in regard to the NT prophecy verses,
> the issue at hand.

   Harold, do you even understand what we are
discussing ?

HH: No, I did not understand your question. You
want Philo or Josephus quotes of the Septuagint
that match the 100 or so places quotations in the
NT that match the Septuagint. No, I have not done
that detailed research.

HH: One of the issues raised in this discussion
was whether the LXX pre-existed the NT. That was
what I was addressing in my point about Philo and
Josephus.

> Oh, I see you agree that we have no extant Latin OT manuscripts at all, and little
> early Greek OT, just smidgens of attempted reconstructions from this and that.

HH: Neither of these statements seem to be true.
We do have Old Latin manuscripts, though they are
fragmentary. Perhaps that is what you mean. And of
course there are early Greek OT manuscripts. We
also have much Old Latin materials in patristic
quotations.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard