[b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Mon Oct 16 11:09:20 EDT 2006

But I would imagine that whether a woman had been married or not,
would be relevant, even in older Israel, before the Ketuba, for
inheritance purposes, and property ownership.

Shoshanna

Dear Shoshanna,

While all you wrote below is true, it is not really relevant. The Ketubah
and the rabbinic literature that it is a part of reflect the use of the
words "betulah" and "almah" in a "legalese" termanology from a thousand
years after the time of Isaiah, in a world that was very different than that
of Iron Age Israel. It would be more relevant to check in what other
contexts the words are used in the Tanakh, and in cognate ANE languages of
the same period. Then you can generalize about whether a "betulah" can be
assumed to be a "reall" virgin and whether an "almah" is usually unmarried.

Yigal Levin